Thursday, June 11, 2009

Protecting Children

One of my favorite parenting blogs, Free Range Kids, has an article about the recent laws protecting kids from lead and other poisonous substances in toys. It sounds like a great idea, but the devil is in the details, as you will see by reading the article.

I can't add much to the discussion, except to slap my hand on my forehead and whimper. Michael had an interesting thought, which I will try to reproduce. The idea is that liberals think that more laws mean more protection for people, while conservatives think that if we just got rid of the laws people would behave well. I'm not sure that this is the case in all senarios, but in this case it certainly holds true.

The visual picture of libraries cordoning off their children's sections, Goodwill and such turning away children's toys, small businesses facing the decision of testing their handmade toys or shutting down, blows my mind. Michael's other idea was that we could resign from the human race----I wouldn't go that far, but I would point out that when we get something wrong the first time, we are obligated to try to fix it.

No comments: